Many people who come to our events will declare apologetically that they are not creative! .. but they just like & appreciate our work. They r bound by the traditional view that to be creative means one must be able to draw an exact copy of the Mona Lisa. Creativity encompasses more than that.
See if any one or more of these fits you. Then, you ARE CREATIVE!
Excerpt from Creativity - Flow and the Psychology of Discovery and Invention by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi.
Characteristics of the creative personality: (pages 58-73)
- Creative individuals have a great deal of energy, but they are also often quiet and at rest.
- Creative individuals tend to be smart, yet also naive at the same time.
- Creative individuals have a combination of playfulness and discipline, or responsibility and irresponsibility.
- Creative individuals alternate between imagination and fantasy at one end, and rooted sense of reality at the other.
- Creative people seem to harbor opposite tendencies on the continuum between extroversion and introversion.
- Creative individuals are also remarkable humble and proud at the same time.
- Creative individuals to a certain extent escape rigid gender role stereotyping and have a tendency toward androgyny.
- Generally, creative people are thought to be rebellious and independent.
- Most creative persons are very passionate about their work, yet they can be extremely objective about it as well.
- The openness and sensitivity of creative individuals often exposes them to suffering pain yet also a great deal of enjoyment!